Welcome. This blog will be about our prerogative as adults to equip our children to be successful. It will also be about the opportunities we have to influence them to be upright, worthy and respectable. The beautiful children in the picture to the left are my precious grandkids. They inspire me to be the best that I can be in every aspect of my life. Each one is unique, vivacious, and engaging. Unfortunately childhood is in crisis and we must act now to raise and empower this generation of young people who have been entrusted to us. The good news is that we can start at home instilling positive character traits. Parents, guardians and significant others can have a negative or positive effect on their moral,social and academic development. If the important people in the lives of children spend time playing (we can teach a lot of life lessons through playing), modeling acceptable behaviors, (I’d rather see a lesson than merely hear about it) and teaching life skills our children( save ten cents of every dollar) will begin their lives with a firm foundation that equips them for living a productive life. A very wise man said, ” Start children off the way they should go and even when they are old they will not turn from it”. Young children can be affected by many social and environmental factors, because they are so vulnerable. Adults must assume their God-given role and teach our children at home. The things we model and teach a child today will make a lasting impression on their future. Start at home to help young children develop into emotionally healthy, curious and well-adjusted children who reach out to embrace their world. We can :
1. Show them how to be kind to others- consider adopting a lonely grandparent in the neighborhood.
2. Notice their natural talents and build on them- if they have an artistic bend send them to art lessons in the summer.
3. Compliment them for positive behaviors- don’t take that for granted.
4. Be relaxed and have fun with them-teach them games-have fun and enjoy yourselves.
5. Start to build good memories- plan activities and events and make them a family tradition.
6. Love them unconditionally- they need to know that we are always there for them.
Children have a wealth of kindness, love, unselfishness, gentleness and laughter inside of them. As responsible adult we should seek ways to unlock these treasures. Let’s concentrate our efforts on raising healthy well adjusted and loving children. They all deserve it. Start at Home!
I invite your comments on starting at home to train our children. Have your say. How else can we prepare our children for success?